There now appear to be more than twenty legal hacking, technology, or innovation groups meeting regularly and hosting legal hacking, legal startup showcases, or similar events:
- Legal Hackers
- Atlanta Legal Innovation & Technology Meetup
- Austin Legal Tech and Legal Innovation
- Boston Legal Innovation Meetup
- Chicago Legal Hackers
- Greater Cincinnati Legal Innovation Meetup
- DC Legal Commingle: Solo/Small/Alternative Firms + LegalTech
- DC Legal Hackers
- Detroit Legal Innovation and Technology Meetup
- Gothenburg Legal Tech Meetup
- London (Data Control) Legal Hackers
- (London) Law Hackers
- London Legal Technology Meetup
- Los Angeles Legal Innovation / Legal Hacking Meetup
- Legal Hackers LA [Los Angeles], also called e-Stet Community
- New York Legal Hackers
- Legal Services Innovators Group (New York City)
- NC Legal Hackers (North Carolina)
- Orlando Law Techs!
- PDX Law Hackers: Building Legal Solutions the Portland Way
- San Diego Law Technology and Alternative Practice Models
- Bay Area Legal Technology Meetup
- CodeX: The Stanford Center for Legal Informatics (Stanford, California)
- Disrupting the Legal Industry (San Francisco)
- Law By Design (San Francisco Bay area)
- Legal Tech Startups & Their Admirers (West Coast Branch)(San Francisco)
- SF LegalTech Meetup
- Seattle Legal Innovation and Technology MeetUp
- Stockholm Legal Hackers [formerly called 'Stockholm Legal Tech Meetup' and 'Stockholm Legal Tech Innovators']
- Toronto Legal Innovators Round Table [description]
In addition, there are now many Ethereum meetups all over the world.
Dan Lear says that he and Janelle Milo have organized the group in Seattle, Washington.
These groups appear to be informal, civil-society associations that allow developers, designers, legal professionals, researchers, students, and others to meet to develop new legal technologies, learn about new legal startups, and create law reform proposals.
These groups’ events and online conversations often have the hashtag #LegalHack
Most of these groups seem to use the Meetup platform to share information and organize events.
We’re trying to keep a list of upcoming legal hacking events sponsored by these groups (and others).
If you know of other regularly meeting legal hacking, technology, or innovation groups, please tell us about them in the comments to this post.
[NOTE: Updated 7 May 2014 to add several more groups and alphabetize the list.]