There now appear to be at least twelve legal hacking, technology, or innovation groups meeting regularly and hosting legal hacking, legal startup showcases, or similar events:
- New York Legal Hackers
- CodeX: The Stanford Center for Legal Informatics (Stanford, California)
- Toronto Legal Innovators Round Table [description]
- Boston Legal Innovation Meetup
- San Francisco Legal Technology Meetup
- DC Legal Hackers
- Los Angeles Legal Innovation Meetup
- Austin Legal Tech and Legal Innovation
- Greater Cincinnati Legal Innovation Meetup
- Seattle Legal Innovation and Technology MeetUp
- Greater Detroit Legal Innovation and Technology Meetup
- PDX Law Hackers: Building Legal Solutions the Portland Way
Dan Lear says that he and Janelle Milo have organized the group in Seattle, Washington.
These groups appear to be informal, civil-society associations that allow developers, designers, legal professionals, researchers, students, and others to meet to develop new legal technologies, learn about new legal startups, and create law reform proposals.
These groups’ events and online conversations often have the hashtag #LegalHack
Most of these groups seem to use the Meetup platform to share information and organize events.
We’re trying to keep a list of upcoming legal hacking events sponsored by these groups (and others).
If you know of other regularly meeting legal hacking, technology, or innovation groups, please tell us about them in the comments to this post.