Edward T. Hart of the University of Florida Legal Information Center has published Indexing Open Access Law Journals…or Maybe Not, International Journal of Legal Information, 38(1), 19-42 (2010) (article 5). Here is a summary:
[W]hat would be the results of a …study of the law journals listed in the [Directory of Open Access Journals, DOAJ]? That is what I set out to discover. [In this article] are:
- a brief description of scholarly open access publishing and the Directory,
- a look at the law journals listed in the DOAJ,
- standards for selection of journals for indexing in the four primary indexes used in United States legal research,
- results of the study of inclusion of DOAJ law journals in these four indexes, and
- a conclusion that considers what the impact of indexing – or not indexing – open access journals means for legal research.