Public.Resource.Org has posted legislative codes for several U.S. states and localities, free on the Web, making summer 2013 the Summer of Codes.
The data are available in various formats, including XML, PDF, HTML, and RTF.
Legislative codes have been posted for the following U.S. states and the District of Columbia:
Municipal or county codes have been posted for the following U.S. localities:
- Baltimore County
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Sonoma County
Examples of how developers can use open legislative codes like these include:
- Tom MacWright‘s Unlocking the DC Code;
- Robb Shecter‘s projects for Oregon, California, Texas, and New York;
- Waldo Jaquith‘s The State Decoded projects for Virginia, Florida, and Maryland;
- Michael Bommarito‘s Michigan Compiled Laws in XML;
- John Joergensen‘s New Jersey Statutes.